AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Grain Bin.....floating pad.....any info???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

marbro1
Posted 2/13/2010 00:16 (#1072382)
Subject: New Grain Bin.....floating pad.....any info???

Southwest Iowa
We've been thinking about putting up a new grain bin so I stopped in at the local Sukup dealer to get some prices the other day. The 4 bin quotes that I got were on a 42'x8 ring, 42'x9 ring, 48'x6 ring and 48'x7 ring. I can't remember how much concrete the guy told me would be used for the 42 footers, but on the 48's it came out to approximatily 44 yards, more or less.

Later on in the day, I was told that this dealer uses what they call a "floating pad" for the concrete base. They first use some gravel and layer it where the bin will be located. Next comes the concrete. Supposedly they don't have to used as much concrete as other methods cause the gravel gives them a sort of base? I'm not exactly sure how it all works out since this will be the first time being around a bin erected on one of our farms in quite some time. This person said that this method doesn't hold up as well as the "others" and won't be happy with it 10-15 years down the road.

Has anyone else heard of this kind of method? Does 44 yards sound like the typical amount that would be used on a 48 foot bin holding around 40-44,000 bushels? Really don't want to spend this amount of money on something thats going to be used well beyond 10-15 years only to have to put a bunch more money into it to make it last.

Thanks for any and all replies!!!!

Marbro1
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)