AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Green milo berries
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wheat farmer
Posted 10/12/2009 16:52 (#882073)
Subject: Green milo berries

Looking for an agronomist, or older or younger farmer that has experienced a freeze on green milo.

Checking a couple late planted fields today after the weekend freeze, which included all day temps of 28 F on Saturday. I know milo in the hard dough stage that is turned or turning color will for the most part be okay based on the looks of the plants.  In 20 years of raising milo this is the first time I had milo freeze wher over 50% of the field was green berries.

I know berries that exhibit any milk or ultra soft dough are history and going out the back of the machine.  A check of many green berries today showed that over half of them were in the medium soft to medium hard dough stage, the latter showing some signs of starting to turn color.  So what will happen with these green berries in the dough stage?

Quick description now of the plants.  Upper leaves are toast, howeve the canopy is so thick that almost all plants have 2 or 3 leaves that are in good green condition when compared to the upper leaves.  The stalk is still pliable and a healthy green.  It is obvious the leaf canopy held soil heat in, keeping the lower part of the plant from freezing.  Since the 28 degrees is measured at about 6 foot above ground, the milo itself probably saw higher temps than that, but not neccassarily above freezing due to the browning of the uppermost leaves.

So back to the main question, what is possibly or likely going to happen to the green berries?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)