AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I personally guarantee there will be beer brewed next year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mustard
Posted 9/11/2009 00:56 (#842376)
Subject: I personally guarantee there will be beer brewed next year

Kindersley Sk.
Since I just finished harvesting the best crop of Malt Barley I have ever had the pleasure of running through a combine. It is a Copeland variety two row Barley, and went 96 bus/acre at 12.4% moisture, 10.0% protein, 99% plump, 0% chitted. The real proof of the pudding is in the germination number and I won't know that for a week or so. But I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good as the other specs. Wow am I happy.

A few years ago I quit growing malt barley because my protein numbers where trending sky high, so this 10% number was a real surprise. I have two more Barley fields to harvest so I'm hoping this one is a good indication of what I will find in them.

FYI our weather started out record dry for the first 50 days of the crop year and then we only received normal amounts rains after that. Nothing extraordinary there.The real anomaly has been the cool if not cold weather throughout the entire growing season. So I have to conclude Barley likes cold weather, or good cold beer comes from good cold barley. LOL

Well I'm finished tooting my own horn now, I think I better find something to complain about before I get too big for my own britches. LOL. Have a safe harvest. Did I mention I'm happy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)