AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Memorial Day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Baby Bull
Posted 5/27/2024 19:30 (#10753729)
Subject: Memorial Day

NE Iowa
The family and I took part in our local town’s Memorial Day service. The color guard tossed a wreath in the river to honor our dead at sea. At the cemetery two lists of names were read aloud. The lists consisted of all the veterans names that are buried in our cemetery and most importantly the names of those who died in battle for our great nation. As I stood and listened to the names lost in battle my heart sank as I thought of young men dying in far off places. Lives that were taken so I could live free.

My parents instilled in me a sense of patriotism. I was always the kid in the stands at high school football games telling people to take their hats off and be quiet. I remember how solemn the national anthem seemed to me as I grew up and stood silent in my cleats and pads before a game. Seeing the flag waving in the air and hearing our national anthem has always brought goose bumps to my skin.

Fast forward to my adult years and another town tradition we had. Our town of 1300 always had a Spring Swing Show. It was all local people putting on a stage show. We preformed in front of over 3600people each year. The spring of 2002 was the year we did a patriotic show the honor those lost in the 9/11 attacks. At the end of the show I was blessed to be able to perform Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA” song. As I started into the song goose bumps covered my body. Senator Grassley was in attendance and I knew he was there. Part way through the song Grassley and his wife stood up as I was singing and the crowd followed suit. By the end of the song the whole crowd was singing with me and I stood quaking in my boots. It was the most moving performance I ever was involved with.

I’m not sure why I felt like writing this post tonight other than to say I am still proud to be an American. I’m proud to fly our colors. I am glad I live where I do and do what I do for a living. Thanks for reading this and God bless.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)