AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

a few new pics of crops at the WIU organic research farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbgruver
Posted 8/19/2009 08:40 (#816581)
Subject: a few new pics of crops at the WIU organic research farm

I took a few pics yesterday during our organic inspection.

The bean photo shows my technician standing at the edge of a strip of organic no-till beans in our tillage system experiment. As some of you may recall, the no-till beans which were drilled on 7.5" rows through cereal rye started out slower and were paler in color than the 30" row beans in the minimum-till and conventional till systems. The NT beans have now caught up with the row beans with respect to color and height. The beans were planted on June 6/7.

The corn was planted on 6/15 following cover crop soybeans followed by "Graza" radishes in 08'. We planted the soybeans with the intention of harvesting them but this section of the field was so weedy that we spun on radishes in early September and then mowed off the beans and weeds. A good stand of radish established before winterkilling.

We intended to apply strips of DDGS in this corn but never received permission from our certifier and did not apply any additional N. The corn (a Blue River Hybrids # that I don't recall at the moment) has impressively few weeds and appears to have plenty of N. Midseason we received permission from our certifier to apply corn gluten meal CGM and corn gluten feed CGF but the corn was too tall at this point to get back over it.

We will probably look at 1 or more of these byproducts as a preplant source of N for wheat.

Joel
WIU Agriculture

(DSCN0036resized.JPG)

(DSCN0040resized.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN0036resized.JPG (90KB - 73 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0040resized.JPG (115KB - 74 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)