AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on side-dressing N on corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 8/18/2009 18:00 (#815752)
Subject: Question on side-dressing N on corn

Dalton, OH

I put 10 gal of 28% down at planting and side-dress the rest.  Up until now, I have been using a Kinze cultivator to side-dress with.  The problem I'm running into is a time factor.  With the amount of hay I make, its hard to get it all done in a timely manner.  I'm looking at a few different options.  One of the fastest I can see is to dribble it on with a sprayer.  I would put Agrotain or another N stabilizer with the 28% and go.  Nice part here would be I could use my sprayer to do this job and would not need any additional equipment, unless I wanted to upgrade my sprayer.  Another option would be a coulter machine that injects the 28% behind the coulter.  I've used a DMI made one of these a few times to bail me out when it looks like I'm not going to get done and they work fine.  I can make pretty good time as I can drive 8-10 mph with it.  Slower than the sprayer, but much faster than the cultivator.  What's everybody's thoughts?  Am I going to loose all of my N here in Ohio dribbling it on?  This is the way I am currently leaning, but I want to here any of your expierences with this.

Thanks,

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)