AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steel beam sizing for loft support
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mattchu60
Posted 5/2/2022 13:32 (#9642524)
Subject: Steel beam sizing for loft support

NC IA
I'm planning a loft for a shop. Basic dimensions will be that its either 6' or 7' deep (wide) and 42' long. I'd like to span 14' feet between posts if possible so I don't have to fight moving longer items underneath (where work bench will be). I don't plan to put a lot of weight up there, rather I plan to attach shelving to the walls, so most of the weight will be supporting a person walking around up there, plus random things that will likely get stored on the floor under shelving.

Contract suggested that I go with 2 - 12" tall LVL's to span this distance. Current price for a 14' LVL is around $140 at Menards - so looking at $280 per 14' (doubling them up)

I would like to see what a comparable steel beam would cost, but I have no idea what size to price. I looked at some span charts but I fail to understand how to read them. Does anyone have a suggestion for what I could use?

I also have some 4x6 steel from an older toolbar. I believe its 3/16 wall thickness - I wonder if that would be sufficient. Logical thinking tells me that if it can handle the stress of being pulled by a tractor, it could handle supporting whatever goes on this loft. Using this would require quite a bit of time as I would need to separate it all out and clean it up.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)