AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How far does a tank of anhydrous go?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/26/2006 04:59 (#38798 - in reply to #38794)
Subject: Re: How far does a tank of anhydrous go?

West Union, Illinois

I don't usually disagree with Mark, but  today I must.

plowboy - At 100# N per acre a 1000 gallon tank will use 2% per acre, so a full dealer tank will do about 40-43 acres

We always figured a 1000 gallon tank filled safely at our rate will cover about 20 acres.  I just dug out a few scale tickets and we were putting on about 4000 pounds of NH3 per load.  If you are putting on 175 # of NH3 (about 143# N) you come up with 22 acres per load. Naturally the rate will affect the acres per load.  However, in colder conditions you will have trouble flowing well near the bottom of the tank.   Earlier ln the season we  don't get as much from a tank as we do when it gets warmer

plowboy - NH3 is ... non coorosive.

Obviously Mark has different anhydrous out there than we do here.  Actually environment may be a factor.  Mark is in a much more arid environment, whereas we get a lot of fog and dew and high humidity.  Around here any mild steel near an NH3 applicator is  rusted enough Loctite is not needed.  And if you use a denitrification inhibitor it will eat the paint off the top of the tank anyplace it is spilled. Note the paint on the rear tank in the photo. Our dealer doesn't even like N-Serve in the last couple loads a tank carries in season because it is so corrosive

It does, however, require diligence and care in handling. Accidents with ammonia are not a good thing.

AMEN!  I do agree 100%.  The ONLY reason to use anhydrous is price.

Edited by Mike SE IL 8/26/2006 05:02

(100_9396 (Small).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_9396 (Small).JPG (64KB - 1226 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)