AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn yield estimate?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 8/9/2006 07:41 (#34009 - in reply to #33998)
Subject: Re: corn yield estimate?

Aberdeen MS
I've pushed the local elevator manager many times on the "bushels" I get credited for at the scale.

He is on a 56# unit calling it a bushel, I'm on the "bushel basket" bushel saying it weighs what the test weight says it should weigh. A bushel is volume measure, not weight measure.

Last time I got into it with him, he closed the convo by saying it won't be long before all is sold by the 100# weight. That was 5 years ago...LOL. I wish it would happen, IMO would then take away a little of the "nibbling" the grain industry does coming up with ways to say your grain needs to be docked $X.XX because it didn't do YY per bushel.

I think like you do Ron...... a bushel is a bushel is a bushel. Those bushels will weigh differently from year to year and field to field. I just have to forget my "school learnin" for years back and get with the program on the "new school". A bushel of corn weighs 56# and has test weights that vary.

Only thing about the test weights, it provides a means for dockage like I mentioned before, but it does nothing for a premium.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)