AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Glyphosate Damage Test Report?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tim Cooke
Posted 8/7/2006 22:05 (#33624 - in reply to #33540)
Subject: EPA listings.

If anything other than the active had any activity on weeds or soils EPA would MAKE them list it on the label. Unlabeled actives would cause it to be pulled out of the market. I have had Ky. Dept. of Ag. pull samples of Clearout, Buccaneer Plus and WeatherMax for testing. Pulled them right out of the tanks on our farm. I have a report laying around here somewhere. Also, Mr "Chip" Martin of UK ag. college has tested RU ready soys on our farm during the early years of RU. After watching his testing plans and procedures he has my respect. If Chip tells me to pull a hickory log end ways across the field, I will go get a hickory log and get started. I did not have the different RUs tested on our farm by UK. However, UK did do the test in Western Ky. on their Princeton Research Farm. LB for LB, Chip tells me there is no difference in whole group. I am somewhat concerned that Clearout tends to change the inert several times during the year. Some barrels are "red", some brown, and some almost white. However, it has not shown to be a problem.

There are no magic RU plants. The basic ones are still pumping out the same stuff, different label. Proof of this is in the RU rewards paperwork. Of course they (M) want you to use WeatherMax, then OMax, then the 4lb M label. But certain others (at least in recent years) could hold your rewards open. These 4lb "loaded" products include Buccaneer Plus and Credit Extra just to name a few. Clearout and relabeled Clearout are the only ones that I know of that is not made by M. I am sure something from SA is here. I just haven't seen it. Your retailer should know who and where product is made.

The reason (I think, no proof) that WeatherMax is failing is the lack of adjuvent in the mix compared to 4lb ers. I do know that I hung in with M way to long just for the rewards program. I used a few replants and some resprays. Then I asked what it was costing. I decided too much. Fuzzy math when they say it only takes one dollar more to use M branded product. Another reason is that the cost is so high everyone pours WeatherMax into the tank on a "how little can I get by with" plan. I tend to pour in on the "whatever I think, then some" plan because cost is not the overriding factor when using it. Time is. The time/spraying cost is more than the RU to me.

Rewards is a loyalty based marketing program based on "insurance". The replant, respray, and product tie ins are just an insurance policy that in my book cost too much. Beans still come up and the weeds still die. Total cost is down over the multi year time frame. I have "saved" enough to take a few hits in the future and still have a little change left.

Chemical background. 4 Years College. Passed the CCA test. Pass the Commercial lisc. test every two years (not the basic farmer stuff like read this and write the answer down). I suffer thru 4 EPA inspections a year. More if I make a mistake on paperwork or storage. 15 years of custom spraying for people that demand high priced chemicals (WeatherMax) and cheap skates (like me) that demand the cheapest product.

Tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)