AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn ear size ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MikeR
Posted 8/6/2006 18:24 (#33273 - in reply to #33263)
Subject: RE: Corn ear size ?

Do you and your dad have different hybrids? Different hybrids tend to set differnt # of rows. Hybrids that have 14-16 tend to have longer ears (40-45), girthy eared hybrids tend to have more rows less length (35-40) . Hybrids with more rows will tend to have narrower kernels but possibly a bit more kernel length, than those with 14 rows. In general longer eared hybrids with fewer rows tend to have higher test wt. At least the 110-116 day maturities I deal with.

I have seen (but don't recall) yield estimate formulas that use a different kernal/bu factor based on the average row with. For example hybrids with 14 rows use a 80,000 kernels/ bushel and those with 20 rows use 100,000 kernels per bushel based on an assumption that ears with less rows will have bigger kernals.

The biggest kernels come with an extended fill period provided by cool nights, plenty of sunshine during the day, no moisture stress, good fertility and no disease.

In general I have not seen hi population reduce the number of rows, but it will reduce the length.

I sell seed, and in the brand I sell the girthy eared hybrids tend to yield more, but last year, under lower yields that was not the case a long eared hybrid with fewer rows shined, yield were lower last year though. (North Central MO)

That's my 2 cents worth

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)