AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seed dealer opinions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Nelson
Posted 8/4/2006 17:58 (#32693 - in reply to #32634)
Subject: Re: seed dealer opinions?

Croplan Genetics already does some of those things. They are called Answer Plots and there is probably one within an hour of you.
They use about 40 acres for an Answer Plot. It is devided in to two seperate areas. One area is for the grower / agronomists to look at. To dig roots, cut open stalks, look for insects and whatnot. This part of the plot is signed and shows everything from parent lines in corn; to high and low management forages. The other area is the yield trial. There they compare new varieties with old, competitors, etc. This part is not signed.
A lot of seed dealers are afraid to give their competitor signage by putting their varieties in a plot, but it should be looked at as an opportunity. Not everybody wants to spend a day or two in the spring planting a plot and the same in the fall; so a local plot with varieties that they are familiar with can be very helpful in comparing varieties.
I am a seed dealer, I sell 3 brands (which is a challenge). We put in a plot this year with 46 different varieties from 6 companies. It covers 14 acres. It is a show plot. But I also expect yield data from it as well. I also have a soybean plot with 37 different varieties from the same 6 companies. When I started designing the plot, I asked the dealers of these other companies for varieties to put in them, and they were welcomed to sign them; I figure people are going to find out what is in there anyway. If one of my products gets beat, so be it. At least I have an idea of how that variety performs and compares to others.

Just my $.02.
Nelson

Oh and my plot day is on August 30 in Waumandee, WI. You are all welcome to attend!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)