AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potash and drought proofing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 7/22/2006 15:58 (#28937 - in reply to #28907)
Subject: My spin on high potash testing soils.

Little River, TX
For probably 30 years we labored under the handy cap of being informed our soil was very high in potash. In the 400 ppm range.

Our problem was out alfalfa showed physical symptoms of Potash deficiency, our alfalfa stands just did not persist as they should. Then I was introduced to tissue testing. First we corrected a copper deficiency. Next we corrected a molybdenum deficiency. Then we were blind sided by the extreme potassium deficiency that made its presence known. The alfalfa tissue test showed close to 1.00% K not the desired 2.50% K.

After a runny around by our esteemed TAMU Soils Lab I pitched a fit and, on one field ready to be planted back to alfalfa, applied 2050 lbs/A Murate of potash, 0-0-60. Graveled that field. Result was a good stand that persisted 5 good years. Prior to planting the next alfalfa stand on that field I applied 1000 lbs of K Mag, ie 0-0-22-11-22. as well as 500 lbs of Murate of potash. This field, in it's second year looks good.

Our ground has a Measured CEC of 40 to 60 meq/100g. I take the measured CEC & multiply by 8.07 & 10.44. I want the soil test to fall between the 2 results but closer to the higher value.

Many labs provide a computed CEC value. I find they are reasonably close to the measured value maybe 25% of the time.

This may or may not apply for you.

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 7/22/2006 18:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)