AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Prairie Dogs ate 10-15ac. of my corn...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 6/25/2006 22:50 (#21987 - in reply to #21747)
Subject: Question

Rolla, ND
Is it normal for landlords to pay for pest control costs? Do they pay you to control the weeds in your corn? I would think that prairie dog control would be the responsibility of the tenant. I'm frankly kind of shocked that you would let them eat your corn and do nothing except complain about your landlords.

Maybe it's just the way you describe it and that's not an accurate description.

It's generally claimed that 1/3 of prebait and 1/3 lb of treated zinc phosphide grain bait per acre applied when there is no green grass (like in the fall) will effectively control prairie dogs. That's really not a lot of money, especially compared to the grass or corn they are wiping out. Even if they don't eat things they mow it off so they can see. It sounded like from your complaints like you are renting the pasture, but even if you aren't I would bet you can get permission to at least treat a ways into the pasture or maybe even get the tenant to share in the overal costs. The bait really shouldn't cost that much. If you are renting the pasture too, I am really shocked that you would rent pasture and get nothing from it like what a prairie dog town produces.

I would think the easiest thing to do in the case of capital improvements is for you to get a longer term lease and pay for them yourself. If you can't get a long term lease, you choice becomes one of getting by without them or if you can't, then accepting the risk that you won't recover the costs.

In any case, farming poorly seldom pays well.

Marv

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)