AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How's your strip till lookin' ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/14/2006 17:39 (#19463 - in reply to #19421)
Subject: Re: How's your strip till lookin' ?

Driftless SW Wisconsin
Oliver,

I don't think I want to replicate this "test"!

One of the things I learned this spring is that when on a side hill you have to drive the same direction with the strip till and planter. I also had a pull type strip till unit and a mounted planter. It took me awhile to figure out that even though I was driving in the same tracks and it was ok on the level, when I got to the side slopes the tools were in two different places. Maybe it would have been better to have both unit be pull type.

In any case it really pointed out the value of the strips compared to planting "no till" (under these conditions.) I think the results were more obvious this year due to the extremely cool and wet conditions. The strip was a much more "fit' place to plant especially in this heavy wet cold high-clay content soil.

Another point I noticed is that in some places the strips did not look very good when I made them - wet ribbons due to soil conditions, rather than nice loose soil. However after about a day and a half of sun and wind those ribbons fractured nicely when the planter's Trashwheels hit them and actually made a little dust. There is an excellent stand of corn in what would have been very tough conditions for conventional or pure no till. But you do need to adjust your schedule for conditions. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 6/14/2006 17:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)