AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lets talk about ROLLING beans!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

M
Posted 6/4/2006 12:44 (#16949 - in reply to #16915)
Subject: RE: Lets talk about ROLLING beans!!

Gary , no-till is really not an option in this neck of the woods. Heavy soils, lack of tile ect..
I live on whats called the Buffalo ridge. Elevation is higher than the surrounding areas(good for windmills) but the weather is a bugger here. Clouds ,cool soil temps make no-tilling a chore here. I tried no-tilling in the past and just could not get consistent planting depth without cleaning mud out of the planter every round. If one no-tills soybeans he must wait forever for the ground and residue to dry effectively to plant. This year I got my beans in a week earlier than I would have been able to no-till them in. When the stalks are tough ,notilling beans is not an option, been there done that when i rented a no-till drill years back. We seem to get heavy rains here that coumpound the lack of central county tile systems. The ground was very hard where water sat this spring for what seemed to be weeks.
We had a week of drizzle this spring, I was able to plant corn and drill beans if the ground was worked a couple days in advance. There is no way a no-till drill in untouched corn stalks would have worked under those conditions. You would be planting the beans on top of the corn husks like i did the first time I used a no-till drill under wetter conditions. I like to plant my beans early, I feel there is yield advantage to doing so. No-till is really not an option for me.I have manure applied to 75% of my soybean stubble in the fall. One must work the ground at an angle to spread out the manure otherwise yellow streaks from lack of N occur in some corn rows. I apply no other N or fertilizer on that ground. Manure is applied with disk incorporators at 30inch spacings, and yes they have flow meters to run a constant gallonage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)