AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Drought Tolerance Compared To Milo Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

versatile875
Posted 6/29/2024 14:24 (#10792183 - in reply to #10791302)
Subject: RE: Corn Drought Tolerance Compared To Milo Question

Western OK
We used to grow quite a bit of milo, but now do corn.

You can plant corn 3-4 weeks earlier, and in a normal year we get may and June rains that can just about carry us through. Not this year though, my March 25th planted corn started tasseling 2 weeks ago, corn starting to look pretty rough in spots, not sure how much more it can take.

Nobody wants milo here, there is like a 80-90 cent spread between corn and milo at the elevators, and the local small feed yards don't want milo, but they will out bid the elevator for your corn

Better herbicide options, and it hasn't fallen down like milo has for me in the past.

More drought tolerate? Maybe? It might hold on a few weeks longer, but ask yourself this- hypothetically, would you rather harvest 10 bu milo and collect insurance, or disk down failed corn and collect insurance? The problem you will face and were still facing is the county t yields are really bad if you are in a insurance situation, but my milo yields weren't much better.

In good years corn will out profit milo here, but until we get our averages up the bad years burn awful hard.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)