AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your ideal way of determining where to apply crop nutrients?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MWest
Posted 6/29/2024 00:46 (#10791559 - in reply to #10791314)
Subject: RE: What is your ideal way of determining where to apply crop nutrients?

There are a lot of ways to do it but it comes down to what works for a particular situation.
I personally look at owned/long term ground differently than rented, it makes no sense financially to build soil fertility in rented ground even if you have farmed it for years imo so then we just look at crop removal.

Soil testing owned dirt grid is great for building and balancing nutrient levels through the field by vrt but once that baseline is established and everything is where it should be then a field average test because it’s cheaper and on rented ground we just take field average (random samples through the field) to give us an idea. Plant tissue samples are a great indicator as well but don’t replace a soil test.

Lime accordingly usually on frozen ground then just before or at planting put down all P-K, 1/3 N and 1/3 S needed for crop removal. Then side dress at v3 the remainder of N and S with 28% and ats liquid you could throw in for example KTS if needed but expensive form of K cheaper to run dry up front. And when you post spray you can put in any needed micros that show short on the tissue samples.

N and S you can lose with moisture and most is needed by the corn plant later in the growth stage so those I split. Keep in mind not all Sulphur is equally available when applied like elemental s takes forever and best fall applied. ATS is half elemental so not all of it is available immediately. For this reason I’m thinking of moving more of my S upfront with ams instead and ams cost less per lb. Of S.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)