AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soybean pre emerge damage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

madflower
Posted 6/28/2024 17:22 (#10791158 - in reply to #10789042)
Subject: RE: soybean pre emerge damage

vesk32 - 6/27/2024 07:39
Compaction (sprayer and seeder tracks) areas are greener and in better shape. Root hairs are bright white, and nodules are present.

Did you apply fungicides last fall or last year? There is a possibility you may have dinged the population of mycoparasites that attack pythium or the trichoderma population.

Root hairs being white, means the roots are good and usually well aerated. Very fine white strands can be mycorrhizal fungus that have attached to the roots.

Pythium fungus or another pathogen like bacteria or mold, can cause roots to turn brown.

some inert ingredients can have an effect, but it is usually not the case, and usually not directly. Like it may affect pH, or deter beneficial organisms, or boost populations of detrimental organisms. In this case, they may be adding soluable iron to the name brand stuff because they are aware of the chlorosis. You may need to add it to the generic.

However, your results are possibly, the compaction prevented either the chemical or water from rains to penetrate into that area as well. You may have a compaction layer underneath or the excess water caused a microbial imbalance. compaction may have created more anaerobic conditions that decreased the pH with say plant matter breakdown, and possibly those bacteria retarded pythium.

The mechanism for iron and chlorosis isn't super well understood but it is more likely to happen in higher pH soils, and I am sure you know this, and possibly everything else I just said. It might be a while before you hear back from the university.

If you have deeper compaction, I would try to address that with a deep taproot cover crop. I also personally would look at applying microbes via a compost wash/tea the aerobic ones might be out of whack. It may recover naturally.

Edited by madflower 6/28/2024 21:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)