AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kansas wheat harvest
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ckansas
Posted 6/28/2024 13:31 (#10790864)
Subject: Kansas wheat harvest

Hoisington, KS
I know harvest is still on going on in northwest Kansas but just interested to hear results from around the state. We were in a very dry spot here and didn't expect much for wheat harvest, but had a few surprises yield wise.
We only had 4" moisture for the year thru May 15 and zero in March and April. One huge difference I saw on summerfallow where I chisel ripped fields that was milo stubble that was grazed during the winter of 22/23. These fields were stressing badly in April/May and yields were around 20-25. Other summerfallow fields that were tilled with only an undercutter, fallowmaster, and sprayed once had yields from 45-58. Long term notill summerfallow fields averaged 55 and notill continuous averaged 35. From driving around noticed the same thing, the more tillage that was done last summer, the more the wheat suffered and burned up. I'm still surprised by the yields we had given the drought, I think the snows we had in January and early February saved this crop and the more snow you could catch on the fields the better given that a couple snows we had were blizzards and most ended in the ditch or fencerows.
I saw the other day that Dodge City has recorded 7.63" so far in June. My Cocorahs location has had 7.22" for the year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)