AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa autoxicity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Sidneyfarmer
Posted 6/26/2024 07:49 (#10787894)
Subject: Alfalfa autoxicity

Sheridan Mi
So, autotoxicity. I've always rotated to corn for two years, then back to oats interseeded to alfalfa. No danger of autotoxicity. I've got a field that I planted two years ago that has so much buckhorn in it that it has pretty much choked out the alfalfa. The quality is shot down the drain for sure. I'm sure it's my fault. I planted some oats that I kept for seed and didn't have them cleaned. They must have been contaminated with buckhorn.

I just did an online search and it just says not to reseed alfalfa for at least two weeks after destroying it with tillage. I never knew you could reseed that soon. Has anybody tried it? I'd like to spray it with glyphosate after I take a second cutting, then work it up and reseed it, but this is going to get expensive if I do that and the autotoxicity kills it. I could go back to corn next year, but I need so many acres of corn and so many acres of hay every year and that's going to throw off my rotation on the other acres if I go right back to corn in this field instead of plowing down the one that should be next in the rotation, but this field of buckhorn is just a waste of land.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)