AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Predicting Big Rains Again
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/20/2024 08:32 (#10780877 - in reply to #10780661)
Subject: RE: Predicting Big Rains Again

southern MN
The rolling hills here, one 40 has 13 clay peaks and 14 low black valleys between. Most fields are about half that. Good ground, but best we can do is average….

The valleys always get some flooding damage typically in spring, either poorly planted or wet roots for too long.

Then the hilltops dry out in august and too dry.

In a fun year like this the sidehills end up being bleeding springs as the water soaking through the hilltops bleed out the sidehills for weeks at a time. Hurt the yields there too.

Really, we strive for average here.

We don’t get the total disasters either. We farm for a high average or a low average.

It works out.

2014 was the best year I will ever see. A dry spring, and a wet early august. Got a few rains all summer, but never over an inch at a time. The hilltops were wet enough, the low spots never flooded. That is the only year I ever saw the same size corn ears through the corn head from one side of the field to the other. I thought I was in irrigated Nebraska…… with no corners.

Fields are really tough north and west of me, some 40s you see more water than green crop. I know every year there are damage areas, this year I feel for those farming north and west of me, a really bad chunk there. So far. The forecast is not good….
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)