AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spraying enlist next to sensitive crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 6/15/2024 12:12 (#10775373 - in reply to #10775017)
Subject: RE: Spraying enlist next to sensitive crop

Glenwood, Mn

I operate 18 acres of wine grapes.  I farm on 4 sides of them.  I use Enlist some years.  Our buffer/headland on the end of the rows is 35 feet and its 10 feet on the outside.  I've raised tomatoes and pumpkins and sprayed pretty close, like label minimum close.  Wind obviously was blowing away.  Never, and I mean never spray with them down wind.  With any product.  This is logic but also the label.  That being said, my township road contractor who sprays road ditches hasn't figured that out yet.  They spray with 25 mph wind so it can "wing" further into the ditch.  When asked "I didn't think it would go 1000 ft."  Ugh.  Dinged up 11 acres.  Nothing came of it as he was a fly by night operator but he did get a good butt chewing by me.  Anyways, make sure it's not calm either.  Guys think they are doing themselves a favor but that's dang near as bad as direct wind as the herbicide can sit and "waft"/hangout.

I worked with Iowa State University extension agent Mike White back when Enlist first came out.  They did simulated trials in high tunnels and bottom line is in their studies, once it's down, it stays down.  Again, simulated controlled environment with simulated wind, temp etc..   A ton of factors come into play, barometric pressure, humidity, day length, amount of sun intensity, wind, ground temperature, ground cover, soil type, available soil moisture etc.  I cannot find the published study so I will see if I have a digital copy somewhere.

No one person is going to say "Sure, go ahead."  No one wants to be liable if something "Did happen".  My experience has been favorable.

All that said, besides giant ragweed, I find Enlist is not all that effective on most broad-leaves here.  It basically doesn't to much for waterhemp... here.  It's kinda cool to watch the giant ragweed drop in an hour though.  Satisfying.  We typically use use it on the field edges where the giant ragweed creeps in.  Other than that, liberty, 3 lbs/ams and a pre like zidua, outlook or dual.  I haven't had great luck with warrant.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)