AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rolling soybeans yes or no
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johns_79
Posted 6/11/2024 10:10 (#10771017 - in reply to #10770273)
Subject: RE: rolling soybeans yes or no

Windom, MN
I've rolled beans twice on my career.

Once the neighbor got a roller when it became a big thing around here 15 years ago. I wanted to see if it really did pay. I noticed the beans weren't as dusty, but I don't believe they yielded any better. The theory here is you get a yield bump by being able to set your cutterbar lower to shave the ground and not pick up the rocks and root balls. I noticed the head didn't push as much either.

Second time was taking out CRP in the spring. Disked twice, field cultivator once, and planted soybeans. It was still pretty lumpy, so hired a roller. That was the best thing I did, not sure I would have been able to harvest without rolling it.

I pick rocks on every acre, maybe break 1 sickle section a year. Combine at an angle too now so the head doesn't push. I just don't see the benefit of owning or hiring a roller every year. Especially this year with how wet it was when we were planting beans.

So I guess my opinion is its not a necessary thing every year, but its a tool that as a place some years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)