AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting into heavy wheat straw-options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dan Loehr
Posted 6/10/2024 15:21 (#10770224 - in reply to #10770128)
Subject: RE: Planting into heavy wheat straw-options

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
coup - 6/10/2024 13:14

Dan Loehr - 6/10/2024 10:15

Few years since we did Wheat DC soybeans BUT
IMHO Your drill like you think will not be the best option --
Darn hard to penetrate thick wheat straw especially if wheat is down in spots and you cut it low
Last we used was a Kinze double frame with marten row cleaners --15" rows
row cleaners need to be set to pull apart DD opener cuts into mostly "cleared ground"
Had a little trouble with the rear units covering the front with a mat of material but not much problem
your 30" row planter probably best bet and doubling back like you are thinking
Need plenty of down pressure and wait till straw is dry probably Noon to 8 at night
No idea if cris crossing rows or setting over 15" the best both have positives and negatives

Owned a few stripper heads over the years (last was Shelburn 28' head)---Sometimes thought was almost perfect
harvest 18% wheat and dry it Drive 7 mph only heads going through machine
Sometimes shattered and lost 10 bu. an acre on loose grained wheat varieties
Stripper heads we owned needed plenty of wear parts replaced

Good luck Dan

Add lodged wheat Stripper head we called a vacuum cleaner --slow sometimes run only one way but worked

Have run stripper heads for 15 plus years . Have never seen 10 bu acre loss in dry wheat. 10 bu acre loss is close to 200 seeds per square feet. 20 seeds per square foot or 1 bu per acre would be more likely number in dry mature wheat

10 Bu. was certainly a bad exaggeration -Not what I should do on NAT --Memory getting a little fuzzy
-I remember you sure can see everything lost much easier than after running the sycle header
I stand corrected Coup probably wasn't even 1 just looked like 10
Been 15 years since we did wheat DC soy beans --
my Father now deceased chewed on me because of the "losses" sure looked like 10 Bu/Ac to him he wasn't in favor of spending $30K on another head

Dan

Add I remember harvesting wheat so wet some grains were mushy ran through a CF dryer came out heavy good quality wheat
Leave wheat out to get rained on gets light very quickly-- Get it cut-- plant the SB --every day is important

Edited by Dan Loehr 6/10/2024 15:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)