AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting into heavy wheat straw-options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

coup
Posted 6/10/2024 07:41 (#10769857 - in reply to #10769826)
Subject: RE: Planting into heavy wheat straw-options

USA
Fly-N-Farm - 6/10/2024 06:08

We'll be starting wheat harvest here in a few days. Quite early compared to normal. at least 10 days before normal. We have very adequate soil moisture and a good forecast for getting everything done without mud. So, the double crop beans will have great potential to start with.

I'm debating the best way to get beans seeded. We have some wheat lodged, so much of the wheat will cut fairly close to the ground. Also, The wheat is a very nice stand. and therefore, LOTS of straw to cut through or move.

1; Do I sell the straw and replace the lost nutrients and lose the organic material? No manure available.

2: Do I use my 500T air drill 10" spacing? This is what we have traditionally done. It struggles when the straw mat is 2" thick to evenly place seed.

3" Do I use my 16R30 1770NT with SureSpeed and plant it all twice for 15" spacing? This is the option I'm leaning towards. I've never done it, but it's the best option in my mind due to the fixed row cleaners because they can move as much straw as I need out of the way.

You need a stripper head
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)