AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calling Rebalers: Loose Hay and a Stautmann Forage Wagon... Would it Work?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BondoBuilder
Posted 6/7/2024 06:39 (#10766481 - in reply to #10766391)
Subject: RE: Calling Rebalers: Loose Hay and a Stautmann Forage Wagon... Would it Work?

JohnW - 6/7/2024 01:23

I wonder about the economics of processing hay to dry it and then turning around and baling it. There is plenty of good grass and horse hay grown in Washington state, east of the mountains, and in N Idaho, which gets shipped to places like Japan. It is put up in large squares then compressed into containers, and shipped to places like Japan.
I suspect you could also find grass hay in Alberta if you want to buy Canadian.
Plant a crop that works with your rainy weather and buy the hay you need. You can also wrap round bales of wet hay in plastic as they do here near me.

The focus of the business is raising lambs for local butcher shops and restaurants, so we need the regrowth grass for grazing. Haying gets the fields the stemy stuff off the fields. We've looked at wrapped hay for our livestock, but there's no way we could use all the haylage for our flock, even at 1000 head operation. The dairies here would buy the surplus, but for about 1/3 the price of small squares. Plus we'd have to buy the round baler and wrapper just to get set up.

Edited by BondoBuilder 6/7/2024 06:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)