AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What do I need to dig up a corn (lack of) stand for replant?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

timis
Posted 6/1/2024 09:51 (#10759140 - in reply to #10758704)
Subject: RE: What do I need to dig up a corn (lack of) stand for replant?

Iowa
I think it really depends on your situation.

Here the stuff that needs replant has less than 5k stand, it’s primarily in draws or seeps that the seed rotted. Realistically it’s June 10 before you get to replant - had an inch yesterday .5-2 in forecast for Sunday. June 10 100% stand is less than 70% of yield potential- realistically that’s a loss on a per acre basis, so I’m planning on just sliding across with a 3pt planter dropping back into the row - it’s more about weed control than yield.

I also think guys need to look at the charts when you’re deciding replant - if you’re talking large areas it’d have to be pretty bad to replant- my philosophy right now is if you can see the row let it go - a plant every 18 inches where you can get a canopy I’d leave it alone. Run real numbers and be honest- keep in mind lots of areas have had 10-20 inches of rain - where your n at? Realistically it’s gone. So if you’re chasing bushels you have to put more n on as well - more money on a losing acre. Don’t forget to look at gt27 beans- they’ll grow through a hppd herbicide if you don’t have atrazine on, that may be a cheap alternative to corn and give you a similar gross - I’d expect June 10 beans to be 90% of normal yield.

Years like this everything goes out the window and there’s not really a right answer, until harvest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)