AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chemical and Fertilizer Pricing Transparency
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

moon1234
Posted 5/30/2024 00:51 (#10756273 - in reply to #10756219)
Subject: RE: Chemical and Fertilizer Pricing Transparency

De Forest, WI
Bennachie - 5/29/2024 22:39

For some time now I have tried to keep on top of our chemical and fertilizer costs.  In the Spring I ask what fertilizer and chemical prices are and aII I typically get a ballpark price and told that prices might be higher or they might be lower.  I have sent a bid list to suppliers and asked for quotes for 2 reasons - 1) to figure who has the best pricing and 2) be able to stay on top of what my bill is going to be.  I have got prices.  But I keep getting told that I am the only farmer in the area that does that.  Apparently other farmers just order from their favorite supplier and pay whatever they charge.  

As planting and spraying gets started I insist on getting delivery tickets whenever I get chemicals or fertilizers get delivered.  Our main chemical supplier is pretty good about it but their delivery guy says once again that I am to only customer that cares about getting the paperwork.  Our delivery guys with our fertilizer dealer (a big national name) might bring a ticket but more often than not they don't because of excuses like - well there was no one at the shop to give him a ticket.  When I ask about a priced delivery ticket - forget it.  Won't happen.  They think I am crazy.  

When I get the invoices I have to go back to the dealer and request copies of delivery tickets.  It is a monumental job to sort out invoices, pricing and what I actually bought.  

I have dealt with several outfits in our area and get the same story.  

I do not know any other business that functions this way.  I used to work in another industry and I can guarantee that you know what you were paying at the outset, know exactly what was delivered and the invoice that came in all matched and payment was made with few discrepancies.  Everyone understood that.

My question is - is this the same practice in other areas??  In the middle of planting season and other busy seasons it is very difficult to stay on top of it.  Chemical and fertilizer is one of my biggest expenses and my biggest headache when it comes to paying bills and making sure I have the funds available to pay the bills.  Without a fulltime accountant I do not see how this can be made to work.  Every year we try to stay on top of it, but we do not get very far.  Right now, I know about 1/2 of what fertilizer we have bought aside from making educated guesses and I only have a general idea of what the prices are.

I know I can hold their feet to the fire on tickets and solicit bids, etc.  But I am just baffled as to why apparently other farmers just trust their suppliers.  A few years ago I had a coop that over charged me over $40,000.  It took 4 months to get it agreed to even though it was an obvious mistake and their rep agree right away.  They finally figured out it was for chemicals delivered to another farmer.  It took another 2 months to get my money back.  I don't use them anymore.

I guess it depends on the area. I have no problems getting quotes on per ton price for dry feet and for chems. I use txt to get pricing in writing. For some reason they don’t like to email, but will happily send a txt.

I have had problems with not getting what I ordered in buggies and started weighing the buggy full and empty. Just the buggy, no truck, etc. I then compared it what the blend ticket said should be in the buggy.

Two loads were off by more than 20% and not in my favor. I used a certified scale so there was no complaints. It took months to get them to adjust the bill. I wasn’t paying the amount in dispute. Chems are usually not so much a problem as they come in containers from the manufacturer. Pricing was in writing ahead of time. I also make it clear I will come pick up the chems so I don’t get billed delivery fees.

Too many ways for funny business to happen and when things are hopping scales can get off, etc. I can see being off 20-40lbs on a multi-ton delivery, but I draw the line when it’s hundreds of lbs off and never in my favor. Makes one question if the nutrients in the spreader are REALLY nutrients.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)