AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-till planter add-ons
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MNfarmer85
Posted 5/27/2024 22:33 (#10753981 - in reply to #10753842)
Subject: RE: No-till planter add-ons

South Central MN
I have a 1760 but it also has liquid fertilizer tanks on it, so haven't run out of weight yet the few times I've needed to run 400 lbs. on each row. Don't know if the conservation type ones like mine were heavier or not either.

Kind of limited on fertilizer options, running a yetter in-between style one that puts the fertilizer off to the side of the row.
I don't run that little coulter very deep though but also run an N stabilizer. Others just stream it off the back which can be done.

Not sure what make/model the OP has for a planter, but probably the biggest things that have helped on mine:
Furrow Cruiser closing wheels... Put them on before I ever used it, got the planter used and it had the old smooth rubbers, many needed replacing/bearings, so swapped it over and would never go back. Work well in a lot of soil conditions tilled/no-till.
Keeton firmers, with mojo wires. The seeds are actually in the bottom of the trench where they belong, and don't have to pack the heck out of the ground with the closing wheels from the top, easier to cave the wall in from the sides. Mojo wires help push the seed down better, and actually keep the Keetons cleaner. They do wear out a lot faster though.
Valion seed tube guard, trench stays consistent, and they last a lot longer.
Went from 3mm to 3.5mm openers. Going any thicker might make it harder to get into the ground.

Last year I put on those Mudsmith style depth wheels, comes in handy if you have wet/sticky soils. Mine is a first year model with ME2 units so this actually changed the depth arms/wheels over to a newer style.

This year I'm running that adjustable closing wheel toe out tailpiece Yetter makes, old ones were shot. Plus side is it helps close the trench better but might be harder on the wheels though, and I'm a bit concerned about the stuff getting liquid fertilizer droplets from the bottom and rusting stuff tight, so going to be figuring out a way to make splash guard out of a strip of rubber belting and mount it under where the spring is.

Would like to upgrade it to hydraulic downforce, been getting by with the heavy adjustable springs but don't care for them. Previous upgrades have been done to fix things that were worn out and needed more urgent attention.

Edited by MNfarmer85 5/27/2024 22:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)