AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OilfieldCows
Posted 5/23/2024 07:27 (#10748599 - in reply to #10748252)
Subject: RE: Alfalfa

North Dakota
That may well be necessary, but my attempt to put the 2nd cutting back into the soil may be enough. Trying to make better soil by doing this. Heard a story once where a farmer put all his straw from combining back into the soil and quit fertilizing. If I remember correctly it took nearly 10 years to get his productivity back equal to the fertilized crop but he claimed it did happen. I guess in my case, time & good records will tell the story. I know that compost is good for the soil and my 2nd cutting should do just that. I may end up rotary mowing then disking may be the only way to get the it into the soil but right now just curious to see if spiking & rolling would eventually get the job done for me.
My goal here is to see if we can get nature to supply for free what we now have to pay for. Maybe less is more???
Since I am in the position now to try something like this I am going for it. It's probably the last success or fail project I will have time for.
As I am becoming aged I am trying to be productive as long as I am able. I picture myself at 80 sitting in a nice hay machine with air conditioning and a nice seat just enjoying the smell of newly cut hay driving down a smooth field, or failing miserably and sitting on my porch looking at the beautiful green trees and drinking whiskey till the auction.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)