AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Boron to speed up wheat maturity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Farmer087
Posted 5/22/2024 08:27 (#10747601 - in reply to #10746579)
Subject: RE: Boron to speed up wheat maturity

NW IL
I'm not sure if applying B only has an effect if it's already short or not.
Here's the conversation I saw. Just curious to hear if others had experience before trying it on too many acres.

https://www.thecombineforum.com/threads/boron-desiccant.328037/

"It works great actually a rate of 2-3 liters per Ac usually dose the trick. It pushes all the sugars from the leaf and stem into the head. Increases sees plumpness and germ. Takes a few days longer than ROUND UP and will not the kocha. Works on crops that ripen from the top down so most cereals it works good"

"Seen the affects of it on an oat field this year. Boron is a nutrient so there won't be any MRL's I don't suspect. Timing of Boron is about a week earlier than you would preharvest with Glyphosate. Needs to be green on the leaves still so it can take it in and push all the sugars to the seed. Also a product like Yucca to ensure maximum surface area is achieved.

From what I seen sprayed to when harvest occurred for the grower was 10 days, so probably a solid 10-14 days (7 days before glyphos, and 4-7 days quicker desiccation) earlier harvest than preharvest with glyphosate. Remember glyphosate is not a desiccant. From what we seen our farm will be going this route on all cereal desiccation unless we need weed control but it will have to be bad. Otherwise do a post harvest herbicide application. Looks like a solid means to get away from the glyphosate seed issues. Also, if you keep your own seed supposedly you have much better seed with boron also going back on the land with the residue."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)