AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dandelion season
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tkoppel
Posted 5/22/2024 06:22 (#10747443 - in reply to #10746995)
Subject: RE: Dandelion season

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Birddy - 5/21/2024 17:24

Moose333 - 5/21/2024 09:37 Roundup will make sure they never come back.

No, it won't, many fields still have them sticking around after glyphosate at crop rates.  

I just saw one field I know today, that has them back, just as bad as ever.  Dandelion is one the worst weeds.

Not only just in lawns, but now getting to be a difficult field weed.

Oh, I dunno, maybe a guy needs to take a different approach to the "problem". Guys pay big money for radish and such, that throw down a deep tap root, busting compaction and creating water infiltration paths. Very laudable, but here you have a perennial, never ending supply that you don't have to buy or seed yourself that turns the same trick! Same goes for wild carrot. Might be a great cover crop mix of two distinct species that the NRCS will pay dividends on!

See, when you get lemons, might be a great opportunity to make lemonade!

In all seriousness, there's a tremendous bank of dandelion seed out there that's just waiting to germinate. For the most part it's become a non issue for me in continuous notill with a heavy small cereals component in the rotation. Lots of different herbicide modes of action keep it in check. It's that whole monoculture thing that gets a guy in trouble.

Now, if I could only find the silver lining to marestail and canada thistle....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)