AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sweet Corn Planting Stages
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDpastor
Posted 5/21/2024 13:14 (#10746814)
Subject: Sweet Corn Planting Stages

We plant sweet corn for selling at stands in stages so it is not all ready at once. Last year we took the advice of fellow agtalkers to plant the next plot just as the previous plot was spiking. I planted a couple of plots about a day or 2 later than that and realized it is best to do it just as the corn is spiking from the previous plot. We did fine last year, but I would have liked to start the next plots a couple of days earlier so that the plot we were on did not get quite as ripe.

Last year it was easy to plant whenever we wanted to because it was not raining so much. This year has been much wetter. I planted yesterday even though the previous plot had not yet spike. It was close, but I think it will be a day or 2 yet, so I just planted the next plot an inch deeper with hopes that it will be ready at the right time. It is raining today, so it is good that I planted yesterday.

Have others used planting depth to try to time sweet corn maturity a bit closer in order to have the best quality of corn at the stands all summer long?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)