AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pumpkin project HELP !
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 5/21/2024 09:04 (#10746556 - in reply to #10746270)
Subject: RE: Pumpkin project HELP !

Coldwater, Michigan
Years ago I had 3000 gallon tanks of 6-24-6 and the other was liquid Calcium Nitrate. The 2 do not mix well!! Sometimes we would haul a PU load of one and later a PU load of the other. Because they do not mix well (instant baby poop!) I would rise the tank out each time I used it, and disposed of it in my garden space. Later I planted my garden. And Big Max pumpkins just happened to be the Pumpkin of choice. The pumpkins were planted on the other side of the sweet corn so I didn't really see the pumpkins that often. The neighbors are always walking past my house (they are older than me and didn't have anything better to do with their time!). I had noticed the the leaves on the pumpkins were pretty impressive the last time I had looked at them, but didn't pay much attention to them. Some times the neighbors would comment on how big the pumpkins were getting and I thought they were talking about the size of the vines.

One time I walked around the other side of the corn, and man those pumpkins were sticking above the vine (and the vines were pretty big!). Came time for harvest and a couple of the neighbors had already asked for seeds from the pumpkins. A few of the pumpkins were no different from normal pumpkins, but 3 of them stood out! 2 of them were over 90 pounds, and the 3rd one was something around 70 plus pounds.

So my hap-hazard fertility program worked pretty well. I haven't tried to grow large pumpkins since then.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)