AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

burndown for pumpkins ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

John e.c.MI
Posted 5/16/2024 06:24 (#10741424 - in reply to #10741191)
Subject: RE: burndown for pumpkins ?

Croswell, Michigan
I only grow 2-3 acres but have been doing it for a long time. My best results with weed control are to get the ground worked just the way I want it 2-3 weeks prior to planting and leave it. Tillage kills the first flush of weed and lets the next flush start. Then just prior to planting I spray roundup/dual/reflex and plant into the somewhat stale seed bed. The roundup kills what’s up and I don’t want to bring anymore weed seed near the top. The dual/reflex really needs timely rain to make this program successful. After the pumpkins are up, even if they look clean, cultivating seems to help. I have seen a big difference where I cultivated most of them and had to quit early one night and never got back to finish. Noticeably more weeds where they weren’t cultivated.

A BASF rep told me one time that Basagran and Raptor post will work. It will ding the pumpkins, but they grow out of it. I have seen this to be successful if the weeds are getting away from you.

I dislike using Gramoxone . I have used that for a burn down with pumpkins before, but if you have any marestail, it will just burn off the top and they will be back with a vengeance.

Edited by John e.c.MI 5/16/2024 06:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)