AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm killing off my cover crop.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AGB
Posted 5/7/2024 20:45 (#10732489 - in reply to #10732385)
Subject: RE: I'm killing off my cover crop.

Mid-Michigan
emh1889 - 5/7/2024 19:30

What’s your rates and cost per acre on the vetch and radishes? We’ve done clover in our mix after wheat but it’s just so expensive. Same with radishes.
Really like the looks of that though, I always feel conflicted spraying down a good cover crop

Honestly, I don't know. Without the soil conservation cost share, it would really be expensive. The cover crop is stupid expensive. I think I'm at 4 pounds of radishes and the same with the fetch. I use my wheat screenings and any left over treated seed and am around a bushel with the wheat. I blend all this stuff with my potash and just spread it then scratch it in. If I had to use my air seeder, I'd quit with the cost of blades, boots and labor to rebuild that thing. It's really hard to put a monetary value on covers though when you look at the value of them to your ground. I'm kinda old school. My dad has been using cover crops for 70 years, only then we called it plowdown or green manure. I use to love plowing down a great catch of clover with our 4020 and a heat hauser listening to a ball game with a radio on the fender. The process has changed but the end result is similar. The john deere no til drill has simplified it along with chemicals.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)