AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

15 inch soybeans kinze 2000
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gregor
Posted 5/1/2024 17:08 (#10725246 - in reply to #10721222)
Subject: RE: 15 inch soybeans kinze 2000

East Central Nebraska
Forget the lbs/acre. I plant beans with a Case IH 5400 Soybean special 15 in spacings. It has the case meters and the drill chart is pounds per acres and doesn't give many options for seed size on the chart and most of the time I am guessing the setting. I shoot for 160K per acre. I am rapidly losing my math skills, so I take the seeds per pound on the paper on the bean box or the seed bag and times it by the number of pounds till I get 160K. then set the drill at that pounds. So that is where maybe you hear planting seeds by the pound. Dad use to shoot for 50#/acre with bin run beans back in the day before the seed traits and it became illegal to plant your own seed like pre 1995 or so. So if my beans are 2800 seeds per pound, the math works out at 57#/acre to get 160K. 2800x57= 159,600. It usually comes out pretty close. Sticky treated beans may not flow as well, but close enough for my bean scatterer. I am just explaining where the seeds per pound come in to play for some folks. So I say shoot for seeds per acre. I custom plant corn with using the guy's Kinze planter and thinking the bean chart is seeds per acres. I only do corn with it and his beans with my drill as he is on 36" spacings. So don't worry about lbs per acre. If the chart is lbs per acre, then you need to convert to seeds per acre with the calculator. Another thing I do is turn the drive wheel 1 revolution on the drill. I think it is 96" around. So in theory you can see how many beans you got per foot of row. I don't remember what I usually get, but thinking 35-40 per turn. Now this reminds me to send my old man on vacation till June. We argue every year for the past 35 years on bean population and I don't have the drill set thick enough and We should have fall disced. Then comes June and everything looks great and guess it will be ok. LOL.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)