AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Prevented Plant Wheat Cover Crops other Ideas...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ZeebaNeighba
Posted 4/28/2024 11:44 (#10721227)
Subject: Prevented Plant Wheat Cover Crops other Ideas...

Michigan
Due to delayed harvest and a wet fall, I only managed to get 10 acres of winter wheat planted, when I usually plant 80-100. And no covers planted. I have a 40ish acre field I would have liked to tile in the summer wheat stubble, and for better or worse I claimed it for PP Wheat.

I could still plant corn or soy and forfeit the other 60% of the PP payment and take a hit on my APH. At the current price of beans, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Or leave it fallow and follow through with the plan of tiling this summer. Of course, I'd like to get some cover to keep the weeds down, and sooner than later. Having an empty field would make it a good candidate for getting a jump on next years wheat. If that's the plan, then I don't think wheat or rye would be a good cover crop candidate.

Also, for better or worse, I told FSA I wanted to tile it. Haven't heard back on a wetland determination yet. NHEL.

What would you do?

I had thought about oats, but my inquiries for possible markets resulted in 1. "We will buy them if you have high test weight." and 2. "No one around here produces high test weight oats." I think it's too late for that now anyway.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)