AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oats with Clover at seeding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

thinkstoomuch
Posted 4/27/2024 18:28 (#10720488 - in reply to #10720459)
Subject: RE: Oats with Clover at seeding

Kettle Moraine, WI
NithField - 4/27/2024 18:02

Thanks everyone.

So with large air seeders guys are just mixing it with the oat seed? And from what I’m reading. Most of you are recommending white clover ……. Instead of red? We don’t sell the straw. Its all chopped back in the field so we do cut high. But that being said if the oats ever go down ….. I would assume the clover would take over.

If the oats goes down, your assumption is correct and Misery will be the state you are in. Swathing would be almost necessary or dealing with lots of green going through the combine. If you have wet weather with oats went down with great clover stand there will be a nonzero chance of you walking away from the crop.

I didn't look at your exact location so I guess you are similar latitude as I am. We have great clover growing climate here. I am also mostly organic so I haven't done a lot of the conventional things with oats as price is poor. Higher nitrogen and higher seeding rate should favor the oats and limit clover growth until oats is harvested and clover can get sunshine.

I have no experience with air seeders but I would wonder how well oats and clover can stay mixed correctly. Big variation in seed shape, size, and weight. I guess it would sort unless could blend with something like fertilizer to act as a carrier. There is cost but you may try air flowing the clover seed separate as it wants firm. Shallow seedbed and rolled in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)