AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Side by side I'd like to see from Becks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 4/21/2024 09:12 (#10714368)
Subject: Side by side I'd like to see from Becks

Chebanse, IL.....

Becks hybrids does a lot of long-term testing of methods & products etc to try & help farmers make decisions. I don't think it matters if you like their products or marketing, the tests seem valid. I note a lot of people quote them that don't use their products.

Anyway, they just released a video explaining some of the enhanced side-by-side tests they'll be doing this year, 2024. I linked their video below. Don't worry, they don't advertise their corn & beans much...just about the tests.

One test I noted was their plan to test aerial applications of different carrier rates. For airplanes, helicopters & drones, it seems 2 gpa is common. They are going to test either increasing or decreasing the carrier rates as I understand it. However, most labels only allow those  lower carrier rates via aerial application. Airplanes say they can do that because they're going 100-150 mph & create a swirl effect. Drones say they can use 2 gpa because they go 20-35 mph (ground speed) and create a swirl effect. But, our ground rig is required by label to apply greater carrier rates of typically 15-20 gpa, or more in some cases. 

First, I'll say I understand the politics of the label. Learned about that a long time ago. If a chem label required aerial at 15-20 gpa the show would be over for that product. But, if the aerial folks are doing an outstanding job at 2-4 gpa, then why can't ground rigs? My boom tips run about 6" above the crop at fungicide application & run approximately 80 psi. Not sure about the swirl effect (aka vortices), because there isn't much time from tip to crop contact. I doubt the swirl effect continues down into crop canopy of either corn or beans via aerial application either...but that's just a guess. Perhaps ground rigs could run 2 gpa also? More practical might be 5 gpa. That would allow over 200 A per fill with most 1000 + gal tank sprayers. Saving water, time, labor, & costs.

I would like to see that side-by-side test of lower rates for ground rigs.. I sent an email to Becks re. that suggestion. Problem might be...it's off-label for now. Hard for them to validate I guess. But still, they do a better job of testing & have more time to do it correctly than we do in the midst of fungicide application to corn & beans which usually requires timely applications. In other words, I don't have time to test it correctly.

Just my thoughts & suggestions.

Here's link to Becks video for 2024 testing plans

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)