AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Late nitrogen on wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 4/18/2024 06:17 (#10710977 - in reply to #10710688)
Subject: RE: Late nitrogen on wheat

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan

Here is a link to a recent study done on nitrogen uptake in wheat.  

https://www.realagriculture.com/2024/02/wheat-school-understanding-nutrient-uptake-for-higher-yielding-winter-wheat/

Within that link was the following comment. 

"The data also reveals that the wheat plant takes up 50 per cent of its nitrogen by 2nd node; 70 per cent by flag leaf and 85 per cent by anthesis."   

Makes me wonder how much benefit you're going to get out of another nitrogen application this late in your wheat's maturity.   Definitely worth at least running some strip trials, though.  Find out for yourself if nitrogen this late is profitable.... for future considerations.

How much nitrogen did you apply with the first application?   What is your organic matter content?   You should be able to count on between 20 and 30 pounds of actual nitrogen being available for your crop, per percentage point of organic matter.  Maybe an extra nitrogen application isn't warranted.  Maybe, maybe not.  f it isn't too much of a hassle.... I would still streambar some additional nitrogen just to find out what it will do for your yield.  Wouldn't it be nice to know what the results will show between strips with the extra nitrogen, and strips without?   I think so.  

gordon

Edited by briggsfm 4/18/2024 06:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)