AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rain, oats, rye, milling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Green Acres Guy
Posted 4/17/2024 09:45 (#10709929 - in reply to #10709611)
Subject: RE: Rain, oats, rye, milling

Latimer, Iowa (north central)
I think the stands of aerially seeded are bad for the exact reasons you mentioned. Corn yielded 210-230 and I think just too much trash for corn to come through.

I have pretty much moved away from aerial seeding rye in corn as stands of rye are too inconsistent. I need a really good stand for weed control in the beans so we don’t have to use preemerge chemical. The picture of aerial seeded is from a neighbors field that we sold the seed to and set up the application. I discouraged the plane application as it hasn’t worked well for us but customer is right. Part of the reason I post is so others can see what works and what doesn’t at scale. It is frustrating to hear blanket statements of covers don’t work when most times it comes down to management of the covers. Just like conventional farming, it’s usually management.

The reason he wanted it aerially done is that it’s part of a CSP contract with certain planting dates. Without looking it up the 15th of September. The NRCS/usda needs to change to planting dates as that is unachievable here to have the corn harvested off. The rye planted later with seeder is so much better and more effective at goals. I have been out to DC three times in last year arguing that point and did a presentation to 20 county directors about a month ago showing this same thing. So tell your directors it is a change that would make the CSP program more effective. Requiring that early of a planting date is doing more harm then good as it causes failures.

Good part of oats being harvested early is that a great cover can be established with more time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)