AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat question for Phil N
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 4/10/2024 19:40 (#10702041 - in reply to #10701606)
Subject: RE: Wheat question for Phil N

Kentucky

TractorFixerGuy - 4/10/2024 10:59 Not wanting to hijack thread below, but I am curious what you spray on wheat in the fall for weed control? I have always sprayed harmony in the spring. Thanks

I don’t want to speak for Phil, but I will say that many in our part of Kentucky have been fall spraying and not needing to spray in the spring.  Here’s some advantages I’ve found:
1.  Early weed competition is reduced which allows the wheat to tiller better going into and through the winter. This can be significant for yield potential.  Thick wheat stands in the spring provide good weed control.
2.  The fields are usually drier in the late fall so less chance to rut them and frequently the fall has better spray conditions.
3.  Longer residual control with many soil applied herbicides because temperatures are cool going into winter.
4.  Weeds are easier to kill because they’re small or have yet to emerge.
5.  Some post emerge herbicides are harder on the wheat at larger growth stages.
6.  Italian ryegrass is only effectively controlled in the fall.  The same can be said for annual bluegrass.
7.  Thick weed competition in the spring also encourages an environment for diseases to develop.

We no-till into corn stalks in October so I start with a burndown, usually glyphosate or Gramoxone plus 2 oz of Valor SX.  The post application is Anthem Flex or Zidua plus 2 oz of metribuzin.  No other herbicides have been needed in the spring.  I would tailor your fall application based on the weeds to control.  For those who spray in the spring around me, Quelex and maybe some Harmony Extra are the primary choices.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)