AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do some fields blow?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ckansas
Posted 4/7/2024 20:34 (#10698352 - in reply to #10698205)
Subject: RE: Why do some fields blow?

Hoisington, KS
I have fields that have been continuous no-till since 2007 get swept clean yesterday with 60mph south wind for over 6 hours. Then today it switched out of the west northwest at 50 mph for another 6 hours. We have been in extreme drought the last 2-3 years and wheat was zeroed out and ground laying fallow ready to go to milo this spring. For some reason any ground that I did some tillage on before drilling wheat in 2022, the wheat stubble stayed put for the most part. I have multiple fields though have been no-till since 2007 that the stubble just breaks off and then it's like a domino effect across the field and pretty soon it's a dust storm. My only guess on that is that the tillage wheat gets drilled a little deeper and a furrow is created. The John Deere air drill with No-till gets the seed in the ground fine, but it is a totally flat surface with no furrow.
I'm 49 and farmed my whole life and I don't recall these 60-100 mph wind days like we've had in the last 3 years 10, 20,30 years ago, but also we just don't get rains like we used to to grow a decent crop.
In December 2021 we had 100mph winds out of the west and heavy wheat stubble that year that was all blown away and 5 wire barb wire fences were blown straight over after that straw started catching and drifting up behind the fences.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)