AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems with irrigated wheat planted too shallow?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MountainValleyFarmer
Posted 4/5/2024 19:38 (#10695406 - in reply to #10694531)
Subject: RE: Problems with irrigated wheat planted too shallow?

I think it’s possible that you are on to something. It’s pretty tough for midwestern farmers to understand what we deal with on western irrigated soils. It’s just different. I rent one field that will only have 60% or so emergence with wheat at 3/4” deep. If emergence isn’t a problem then I’d think you are shallow enough, however there is literature stating that too deep will hinder tillering.

Biggest negatives I see to shallow depth is more frequent irrigation initially. That will lead to a little more weed pressure. Depending on your herbicide program that might not be an issue.

Your yields are fantastic already. I’m guessing your questioning the status quo helped to get them there.

Can you try some side by side trials and prove your theory to Dad?

I’m hoping Phil N will chime in on this one.

Edit to add- I mentioned the potential weed issues from more frequent irrigation. On second thought I don’t think that will be much of an issue. My wheat is all organic and I don’t really have weed issues in wheat due to good vigor and high population.

Edited by MountainValleyFarmer 4/5/2024 19:48

(E5257EDF-2AF6-4655-944C-6091B04F4B81 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments E5257EDF-2AF6-4655-944C-6091B04F4B81 (full).jpeg (372KB - 27 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)