AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bad engines in 70 series John Deere Combines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

farmertull
Posted 8/15/2010 12:09 (#1316531)
Subject: Bad engines in 70 series John Deere Combines

South Dakota
I searched reliability and combines and found numerous issues with the late model 70 series combines. Engines going bad and JD not repairing but replacing with new engine. They talk about John Deere tier 4 engine not reliable. Were they not ready for release for the 2008 deadline. Is this blown out of proportion like most things posted are? I have many older Deere machines and have heard that JD reliability has gone downhill. Is there any proof... Too bad there is not a Consumer reports like, neutral party, to check reliability of farm equipment. You walk into a dealer and ask the history of your tractor and it is hard to get them to print out the past repairs if it came from somewhere else. Its there if they want you to see. If any of you remember the problem I had with the fuel system of my 9220 still under warranty and the negotiations involved in order to get it fixed...you know what I am talking about.
Tull
Top of the page Bottom of the page
CaseFarmer
Posted 8/15/2010 12:19 (#1316541 - in reply to #1316531)
Subject: Re: Bad engines in 70 series John Deere Combines

Flora IL
Actually they don't use new engines there reman engines. FYI.
cornholio
Posted 8/15/2010 13:08 (#1316610 - in reply to #1316531)

It's not a scientific poll, but around here about 25% of the 9870's sold in the past 2 years have blown up within the first 100 hours. To their credit,they have gotten them fixed with new engines quickly and in most cases have furnished a loaner combine while it was being fixed. I assumed they would have the problem fixed but there have been more of them do it this year so I don't know what to make of that. We had trouble with a 9220 as well and never felt like they made it right. I think all the new emissions standards are just another example of how determined this country is to commit economic suicide. We're mandating all this BS that increases cost, reduces reliability, increases fuel consumption, and doesn't benefit the environment enough to even count.
badger@uw
Posted 8/15/2010 13:52 (#1316687 - in reply to #1316531)
Subject: Unless they have numbers to verify, it is all Tier 4 hearsay

East Troy, WI

Seriously.... Ask them to show you the numbers

In the forums I visit,  nothing irritates me more than warranty hearsay, and drawing conclusion from single or group of incidences---it makes no sense. Deere, and every other manufacturer has a database to track all warranty claims.  Once claim/failure trends have reached certain levels or concerning patterns, it prompts major revisions and recalls.  We could argue all day long about whether they do so in a timely matter - and whether they should be more aggressive with recalls - but in the end thats mostly corporate admin making those calls.  The worste thing to do -from a sales standpoint - is release unreliable equipment, and to many manufacturers credit i am rether impressed with their relatively low warrantly claim rate in ag equipment.

Unless the posters have actual warranty claim rate information - from the corporate level with verifiable source- dont trust anything that is posted regarding blanket statements on engine series.

I certainly appreciate lemons and bad batches of parts, and poor engineering is hard to overestimate; but I refuse to believe the hot button issue of Tier 4 engine claims is factually based, no-one has ever presented factual information on the failure rate (let alone failure comparison statistics like MTBF).  I think this is driven by fear of technology that farmers will not likely be qualified to service (not that many have been able to service engines of the past 3 generations of engines.)  

Every engine ever built blows up, and they blow up at a certain rates, that's what machines do.  Companies spend millions tracking these rates, and most design engineers are intimately involved in failure analysis.

For those curious on overall warranty claim trends , here is a link to get you started.

http://www.warrantyweek.com/

Bern
Posted 8/15/2010 14:14 (#1316723 - in reply to #1316687)
Subject: RE: Unless they have numbers to verify, it is all Tier 4 hearsay

Mount Vernon, WA
Not every engine "blows up". Most go on to work long, hard lives. They get tired when they get older, but most don't have some sort of major mechanical failure that would indicate faulty workmanship. If anything, most failures can be attibuted to lousy service and maintenance.
badger@uw
Posted 8/15/2010 14:21 (#1316735 - in reply to #1316723)
Subject: Agreed, engine service and duty % major drivers in failure rates

East Troy, WI

..but will also add that all engines fail (some catastophically, some related to surface wear), and they fail (IF all parts made exactly the same)  at fairly reproducable rates.  The term "blow up" may not be the best choice of words, but i used it to get my point across- your right in stating most failures are related to surface wear, as nearly all parts are designed below the fatigue limit, and ussually by an  order of magnitude.

These rates changes over time, and most lifetime curves include a inititial failure rate related to faulty parts batches and such.  These often are the one to get recalled, but in the long run have little impact on median expected engine life.

KelB
Posted 8/15/2010 16:17 (#1316891 - in reply to #1316723)
Subject: What ever has happened to these engines

Ayr Queensland Australia 4807
it seems to be fundamental errors ,9 litre head gasket failure pull the engine apart and put more liner shims under the liners.What is it all of a sudden liner protusion has changed no one could remember what it should be .13.5 water pump bearing can wreck a complete timing geartrain.You can do all the % failure rates versus units built and lots of graphs to show each other it still does not alter one thing engine reliability has declinded you can blame the emissions stuff but its not that. Now with the internet dealers can not use the old worn out saying (your the only one this has happend to )
illfarmr
Posted 8/15/2010 17:16 (#1316965 - in reply to #1316891)
Subject: LOL, your the only one with this problem

Central Illinois
Back about 1990, we had a new 9600 and started corn shelling in early September, before most other people. We could not keep it from grinding corn, no matter what. After having the salesman, service manager, and territory service rep tell us we didn't know how to set a combine, because no one else had any problems, the fireworks started. After that explosion, Deere sent a guy down from DTAC to set it up. Great guy, knew everything about a combine. He had three "kits" with him. When I asked the territory service manager what the other two kits were for, he sheepishly admitted that a couple other combines had problems. Two days later, I would have put that setup against a 9770 today. DTAC guy could flat out setup a combine. That winter at meetings, a lot of us had a laugh at Deere's famous "you're the only one" line. Reminds of a girl I used to know.
kagen
Posted 8/15/2010 17:32 (#1316979 - in reply to #1316965)
Subject: illfarmr

Panhandle of Ne.
I got a belly laugh out of "Reminds me of a girl I used to know". That was good. LOL
Redman
Posted 8/15/2010 22:03 (#1317328 - in reply to #1316965)
Subject: RE:I don't know if your girl friend had the follow up line,

SW Saskatchewan
When you ask for the repair part after telling you that you are the only one, they say "sold out the last of them just last night!"
McCartman
Posted 8/15/2010 17:46 (#1316997 - in reply to #1316687)
Subject: Re: What a bunch of bunk!

Now, I know that people can and do exaggerate things on the net. That still doesn't change the fact that you can spot "trends" by watching these boards. Do you really think there are guys on here that have no problems with their brand new equipment, yet get on AgTalk and say their engine blew up - just for the heck of it? I doubt it very much.

This is the problem with scientists and engineers - and others with bean-counter brains. They don't believe anything without "numbers" to "prove" it. Use some common sense, for crying out loud.
badger@uw
Posted 8/15/2010 17:51 (#1317009 - in reply to #1316997)
Subject: Seemy post below - we actually should be using these boards - but it doesn't make observation "true"

East Troy, WI
You do have to do bean counting, even if the numbers of failures are below older series, you must keep some sort of accounting system.  Maybe you could set up some surveys?  Would have to be randomized, though.
McCartman
Posted 8/15/2010 18:05 (#1317036 - in reply to #1317009)

Oh, I agree - bean counters have a necessary place in this world. But don't get on here and preach that there really isn't a problem without the "numbers" to prove it when any idiot who looks at these boards more than once a week can see that there are a high number of owners that are experiencing them.

This reminds me a whole lot of a Six Sigma Green Belt project that I somehow got dragged into once. We had a problem with a process in one area of the plant. The particular machine that ran this process was basically a wore out heap of junk in dire need of refurbishing. This machine was making a high number of parts out of spec. Sooooo, five of us on the Green Belt team met for an hour and a half every Thurs. for weeks and weeks and weeks - collecting and analyzing data. Guess what we found out? The very thing that we all knew already going into the project - the machine was wore out! Think of the wasted time, the thousands of bad parts made while we were "collecting data", and the money dumped into that project to come to the conclusion we already knew. THIS is why I say sometimes a person just needs to use their noggin and common sense. Now, if that machine had been in decent shape and we simply could not find where the problem was, then collecting data would have made perfect sense.
badger@uw
Posted 8/15/2010 18:20 (#1317054 - in reply to #1317036)
Subject: issues with customer feed back/reporting versus QC

East Troy, WI

I like forums  because its like a "head up" on trends, but because of recall bias, they tend to over report failures, making normalization critical.  Its the problem of "the denominator".

I agree through - when there is a problem, just fix it  and quit trying to study it.  Its just we cannot assert there is a problem yet.   I am especially suspicios because EVERY engine maker takes heat with new engines, and now everyone states the EVERY tier 4 from EVERY supplier is junk- without ever even owning one.  I think there has been a mob mentallity brewin, I am highly skeptical they are acting on good information.

Savethefamilyfarm
Posted 8/1/2017 18:59 (#6162026 - in reply to #1316687)

Our 9570 dropped a valve in the #4 cylinder with a little over 1,000 engine hours on it. 1,040 I believe. Warranty was only good to 1,000 hours so there goes your theory on warranty work. $20,000 later a new long block installed and that pos got traded in. Funny, our dealer has four 9570's on their lot and all four have new engines in them due to being complete junk!
Savethefamilyfarm
Posted 8/1/2017 19:01 (#6162032 - in reply to #1316687)

Our 9570 dropped a valve in the #4 cylinder with a little over 1,000 engine hours on it. 1,040 I believe. Warranty was only good to 1,000 hours so there goes your theory on warranty work. $20,000 later a new long block installed and that pos got traded in. Funny, our dealer has four 9570's on their lot and all four have new engines in them due to being complete junk!
Manteno Mark
Posted 8/15/2010 15:51 (#1316865 - in reply to #1316531)

Manteno Illinois 50 miles south of Chicago
The engine on my 9770 is out right now. The problem is the cylinder sleeves float up or down. The put shims in and you are good to go. Cost to me is nothing. Has never been a problem and has had great power. They have another one to do right after they are done with mine. And those are the only two they have in hundreds of 70 series. Deere gives them 27 hours to do it,takes about 50.
kagen
Posted 8/15/2010 17:06 (#1316951 - in reply to #1316865)

Panhandle of Ne.
All I know is this. We have owned over 30 JD combines from the 00 series through the 70 series. We had one 9600 that had over 5k engine hours and never any engine problems. We have had several power issues through the years, most of them were resolved. We used to run 3 combines and trade every year for many years and now just own 1-9770, an '08 model, with 550 engine hours and it is being rebuilt right now. They brought another 9770 out, a '09 model, for us to finish wheat harvest with and we were the first to run it after a complete O/H. It had around 650 engine hours. I don't believe it is a operator/ maintenance problem at all. I don't believe it is a tier IV problem either as the mfgs. have known since 1990 that these new low sulphur mandates were coming and have had plenty time to get it right. I know of a new '10 model 9770 that when they were backing it off of the truck from the factory it was knocking. They had to put a new crate engine in it and yes they do have new crate engines. Most crate engines are factory rebuilt, but they can pull a new engine off of the assembly line. I know of another 9 litre in a 8530 w/1800 hours that broke a crank.

We have had in the neighborhood of 60 of the 8.1 engines in tractors and combines and have NEVER had an engine failure. So, this tells me that JD has a problem with the 9 and 13 litre engines. I don't need any statistical data to know this, pretty simple.
badger@uw
Posted 8/15/2010 17:40 (#1316987 - in reply to #1316951)
Subject: One thing i am reminded of

East Troy, WI

...is that engineers treat delivered components - like engines - pretty much equally - whether its from Deere , Cummins, etc... when your a combine engineer - or a tractor or loader or cotton picker engineer - your engine supplier is the enemy, because all of their problems get rolled into your machine - no matter how well you design the rest of it.   Everyone at Deere is frustrated at Engine works, simply because every engine issue becomes the larger machine's issue.  I bet they joke it would be easier to buy from cummins.

Even with your experience, you really have to look at the statistics.  Maybe your number was up, and you finally got the early failing machine.  I'm not saying I know the statitics for the modern engines, but I am saying that no one else one this forum does either - until I am proven wrong.  

Could we all be on to something? - absolutely, but until we keep the numbers, and compare it to older engines, our "wisdom" lay in the realm of hypothesis.  

Bern
Posted 8/15/2010 18:54 (#1317088 - in reply to #1316951)

Mount Vernon, WA
Seems to me like Dutch has had more than his share of problems with the 8.1L engines.
dutch
Posted 8/15/2010 22:06 (#1317334 - in reply to #1317088)

West Texas
Yep. Not impressed with them.
We used to get 15.000 hrs out of the old 7.6L in the 50/55/60 series. Not a chance with the 8.1L.
So far the 9.0L has been pretty decent except for some fuel pump issues on every one of them. But we don't have any hrs on them yet either.
eddiedry
Posted 8/15/2010 22:19 (#1317367 - in reply to #1317334)

Wheatley, Arkansas
I wouldn't expect too much out of the 9.0. It can't be good for longevity breathing the exhaust back in the engine.
Andover
Posted 8/15/2010 22:23 (#1317376 - in reply to #1317334)

Guelph, Ontario
Dutch wasn't the only one.
We had two of the three 8.1 l engines we own fail due to piston problems. Both under 2500 hrs.
Rebuilt the 9510 and still own it.
Traded the 8110 and are now running a 9 l.
I hope we have good luck. (But we have the extended warranty).
Manteno Mark
Posted 8/16/2010 07:48 (#1317697 - in reply to #1317088)

Manteno Illinois 50 miles south of Chicago
Why would they do that. Hogan walker out of 5 dealerships only had two that needed the update. And no failures
msb
Posted 8/15/2010 18:35 (#1317070 - in reply to #1316531)

Lapel, In
No longer around the dealer shop, but it sounds like Deere might have used some green blocks. Same situation occured with Deere rushing to get the 5010 on the market. I had to counter bore the 5010s we sold and shim up the sleeves to their proper height protrusion. Chrysler had the same problem with some of the old Plymouth Furys back in the late 50s, but they had no sleeves,only soft blocks.

. Engine block casting are ordinarily thrown outside in a pile for about 6 months where they are aged before any machining is done. It gives the iron molecules time to settle down(harden) and stabilize. That is what Deere engineers told me at the Waterloo Tractor Works at a service school back in the 60s or 70s.
sledgehammer
Posted 8/15/2010 20:06 (#1317186 - in reply to #1316531)

manitoba
we have had 12 9770's and not one engine problem. so far.
jeff gordon
Posted 8/15/2010 22:52 (#1317438 - in reply to #1316531)
Subject: RE: Bad engines in 70 series John Deere Combines

Mather, Manitoba
local dealer recalled all the 9770s they sold in previous years, pulled engine and rebuilt them all. Had like 12 to do.
farmertull
Posted 8/16/2010 10:37 (#1317915 - in reply to #1316531)

South Dakota
I think this discussion only proves there has to be a neutral party to check the reliability of farm machinery. One similar to consumer reports. How do you think Toyota finally admitted to the quality problems. There should be a farmer watchdog organization to rate reliability and weak points of machines and print them for all farmers to see. John Deere did not want me to know about the fuel problems in my 9220 bu through this forum I found out that I wasnt the only one. Yes is a lot more material going through the new combines...guess what ...for a quarter of a million dollars minimum they should be able to take it.
CJDave
Posted 8/16/2010 19:56 (#1318367 - in reply to #1317915)

Southeast Iowa
If you see the trouble code 637.10 on your 70 Series combine, the crankshaft is broken in the #6 connecting rod journal. The machine will still run and even limp in to the dealer, but the crank is in two pieces.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)