AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on drills for High Plains reduced-till system
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

nwksmilo
Posted 12/21/2020 20:50 (#8688163)
Subject: Educate me on drills for High Plains reduced-till system

Colby, KS

Looking for input on drills from folks with more experience.  I'm needing a bigger/better drill for drilling winter wheat into summerfallow ground that has been hit with a v-blade sweep plow twice.  The residue would be dryland corn or milo stalk residue.

I currently run a 30' 10" row Crustbuster All Plant.  It has been OK, but not great.  It is lacking in planting depth when dry and down pressure when the ground is hard.  I've drilled a lot of acres as deep as it will go and praying for rain that sometimes doesn't come.

I see most of my neighbors running single disk no-till drills. I understand they don't need as much downpressure to get in the ground, but they pretty much cut and stomp all the residue down.  Sometimes the residue blows off the fields in drifts like snow.  I hardly ever see a machine bigger than 40'.  And from what I hear they are expensive to maintain because of short wear life.  And of course expensive to buy.  I could add a tractor, another All Plant, and a driver for less than buying one of those machines.

Can any of the hoe machines handle this kind of conditions?  I know JD has a "no-till hoe".  The one I looked at looked like it gouged over terraces and had very, very poor depth control.  Some seed on top of the ground, some 6" deep.    What about the older Flexi-Coil or Concord machines?  Any recommendations from somebody else doing reduced "occasional tillage" like I describe?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)