AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 8100 engine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 11/13/2006 22:54 (#61343 - in reply to #61330)
Subject: Re: JD 8100 engine

Pittsburg, Kansas

I believe 97 was the year the 8100 to 8300's went from the 7.6L to the 8.1L engine but it was 98 when the transmission was changed. I had both a 97 and a 98 8100.

I would not be afraid of a 7.6L engine at all. They went to the 8.1 because it basically cost no more to manufacture it so made for more streamlined and simplified manufacturing. Wasn't anything wrong with the 7.6. But all else equal I would go for a 97 over an older model and a 98 over a 97. I would expect prices to reflect the differences and if not would take the newer tractor. Also the 97 and pre could have a transmission update computer and shifting valves. At the time the PIP was introduced the cost was pretty nominal but I think the cost is much higher now. It updated the computer and valves to the 98 transmission but there are internal parts and pasages that connot be updated without a remanufacture so even with the update kit it is not a 98. Check with the tractor history if it is 97 or earlier to make sure this transmission update was done and if not check on what it would cost to get it updated. The tractor will obviously work without the update but I would discount the tractor if it has not been done and it does make the the transmission shift smoother.

John

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)