AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

air seeder cart position ? Front of behind?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rosco
Posted 10/25/2006 03:36 (#54938 - in reply to #54800)
Subject: RE: air seeder cart position ? Front of behind?

Galahad, Alberta
We run a 2320 Flexi-coil cart behind a 39' 5000 air drill. My area is completely tow behind. Ease of filling, especially with a semi. No blind spot behind the cart. And no compaction problems unless you are seeding into muddy clay, in which case you shouldn't be going anyway in our soil. We no-till, so sometimes it's tough to see just how wet that low spot is. If you ever get stuck with a loaded tow between cart, and have to unhook, you'll curse the day it came on the farm. When I get the drill stuck, just pull the pin, drive the tractor away, back in on dryer ground, tie on with a heavy chain, yank it out, hook up, and seed around the mess. Usually takes 20 minutes. But if you have a tow between and have to unhook, it's going to take a great big sky hook to ever get that full cart hitched up again. There is a large farm near me that run Cat tractors and they claim that the tow between carts work better for them because you have to make a bigger loop at the end of a pass to turn the rig around, thus the tracks make less ridges because they aren't turning so tight.
FWIW, we had to change all our V-steel packers in the center section or the air drill this spring. The drill had done 11 seasons and we had been doing a lot of welding on split packers. We determined that the reason the center section wore out and were splitting, but not the wings, was because when we crested a hill top, there was 370 HP pulling down on the hitch one direction, gravity pulling the cart back the other way, and any time the packers had to go up and over a rock on the hill top, they would have to bear the two opposing forces. Probably not a huge issue for most farmers, but just something that happened to us.
I know of another farm that decided to trade in their air drill with a tow behind tank because of side draft on hill sides. They had rubber capped packers and they were peeling them off the rims on severe side hills. I'm sure that the tow behind tank contributed to the side draft.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)